Is Povidine iodine effective treatment for Pilonidal cyst?

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: Can Povidine iodine be used to clean area of Pilonidal cyst. The product says do not use for 5 to 7 days.
What about Dettol; an XXXXXXX brand disinfectant.
Could any of these products cause local irritation apart from an allergic reaction. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can use povidone or dettol efficienty to clean the area .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear , hi

Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* In my practical experience , both of the povidone iodine as well as dettol
with chloroxylenol as active ingredient has been excellent molecules to
clean the area of Pilonidal cyst without problems .

* Aim of both are to clean the wound , kill bacteria .

* Local irritation is dependent upon the individual sensitivity to the molecule only

Kindly provide further details so that I can answer your query more precisely .

1. Type of procedure performed over the Pilonidal cyst - open wound or
primary closure with stitches .
2. Duration of the procedure .

Awaiting for your response .

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 21 minutes later
Are sitz baths with both these agents added a good idea?
What do you recommend in way of treatment for the condition of pilonidal cyst?
Can it be dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up .

Detailed Answer:
Welcome dear .

* Again , you have not mentioned whether any procedure is done over the
pilonidal cyst ( means surgery or incision ) or you are inquiring for home
management with medicines ? Kindly specify please .

* Sitz bath are best even in primary as well as secondary management after
procedure . Addition of any one agent is advisable . ( it is not dangerous )

* Recommended to upload a photo pic of the pilonidal cyst as an attachment in
your follow up conversation for better judgment and guidelines further .

Hope this will help you for sure .

Wishing you fine recovery .
Regards dear take care .