What causes weakness, fatigue, nausea and muscle twitching while on Bactrim?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Genetics
Question: I am an XXXX 51yo. Last week had a mild case of rabdo and UTi, Tx myself w hydration / H2O, which 30hrs later landed me in ED with low Na and Cl. Tx with fluid restriction 3 d and labs were back to normal. 3 days later on Bactrim,I am now experiencing weakness, fatigue, nausea, and sporatic muscle twitching in extremities, tremulousness. Googled MS and I have every S/S. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are likely to occur due to low potassium levels

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided. I do not think that you have MS (multiple sclerosis). You need not jump to conclusions. The symptoms that you describe, are more likely to be due to electrolyte imbalance. Taking juicy fruits like citrus fruits should provide relief as they contain plenty of potassium. It should take care of the muscle twitches and fatigue. Other things can be considered only if these do not help.

Hope that helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
My labs were all normal Chem 16 Cbc TSH t3 t4 mag Troponin CK CPK LTF renal panel drug tox . Postitive UA for UTI and Glucose 120. Positive for dizzy, light headed , nausea , numbness tingling in digits , tachycardia, SOB on exertion some of the time, generalized weakness and fatigue , insomnia , no temp , VS WNL . R U Q discomfort What about GB causing pancreatic issues ?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I do not think that you need to worry about gall bladder or pancreatic issu

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for not being able to respond earlier.

Gall bladder problems do not cause pancreatitis. Gall bladder and pancreas are two adjacent organs, both of which secrete digestive juices through the common bile duct. If you had pancreatitis, the blood levels of lipase and amylase would have been very high. Since you have mentioned no such thing, I do not think that you need to worry about pancratic issues. About Gall bladder issues, it can be made out easily with proper clinical examination or an ultrasound. I have seen the other reports that you have mentioned but they do not seem relevant in this case.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 hours later
Thx, much better today, I think it was related to UTI
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Glad to know that you are doing better.

Feel free to ask me back directly in case you ever have a health related query in the future.

Wish you a good health.