What causes unusual weight gain after colon resection surgery?
Thyroid can be the case.
Thank you for the query.
You havent mentioned about the reason of colon resection. If it was a colon cancer, distended abdomen can be caused by fluid in abdominal cavity.
If it was done due to diverticles or other issues, your abdomen can be simply bloated due to adhesions or hernia in the scar area can be the reason.
Weight gain does not seem to be related with the surgery. Usually after some colon removal, patients rather have problems with loose stools and weight lost. So weight gain means that with your bowels everything is fine.
Weight gain can appear due to thyroid problems. Hypothyroidism which can be weight gain reason gives also tiredness, sleepiness, hair falling, dry skin and constipation.
I suggest you to start with thyroid tests. If you have also legs swelling, heart function, kidneys function and veins condition should be checked.
Larger abdomen should be checked with an ultrasound or CT (if colon cancer was the surgery reason, you should have abdomen CT every year for first 3 years).
Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
You are welcome.
You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the diet plan after colon resection surgery
- Is it normal to gain weight after a colon resection
- Colon resection surgery and losing weight
- Eating after colon resection surgery
- Rapid weight gain after a colon resection
- Pain after colon resection surgery
- Lump after colon resection surgery
- Cause of jaundice after colon resection
- Will i gain weight after colon resection surgery
- Sex after colon resection surgery
- Nausea and hunger after eating, waking up at night hungry, urge to...
- Pain inside anus during bowel movement. Is Xyloproct or preparation H...
- Bad odor in belly button, red substance inside, oozing pus
- Pain in front of arm and at wrist under thumb, swelling and throbbing....
- Chest tightness when walking, upper back discomfort, heartburn, no...
- Lump in chest, painful, have pain in ribs and lower back
- Done hernia repair in belly button, have cramp on right side,...
- Frostbite wound on chest from blister freezer. Itching and peeling off....
- Vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, blood in urine. What do I do?
- Is triple action viriliy purchase thru new vitality safe?