Is Amlodipine a good alternative for persistent high blood pressure?

Cardiologist
Question
i have high blood pressure and have been taking Edarbyclor for a number of years. Recently my blood pressure has elevated from 130's over 80 to 175 over 70. I have changed doctors because of moving to a new location and he has changed my medication to Losartan HCTZ 100-12.5 mg. once a day. Which has not helped at all I am consist at 170/65 morning and night for the past two weeks. My question is would it be alright if I take Amlodipine Besylate 10mg once a day
Wed, 16 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking HealthcareMagic!

Considering your persistent high blood pressure values it would be recommendable to add a new antihypertensive drug to your therapy.

In this regard, amlodipine would be a good rational alternative.

In addition, I would recommend using a separate losartan 100 mg tablet and increase the dose of Hydrochlorothiazide to 25mg daily.

Some blood lab tests (complete blood count for anemia, thyroid hormone levels, kidney and liver function tests, fasting glucose, blood electrolytes) in order to investigate for secondary causes of high blood pressure.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri