What causes tonsils to be swollen after tonsillitis treatment?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 17 Oct 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I'm a 43 year old female and in July I had my first bout of tonsillitis. It was determined to be tonsillitis/ cellulitis ( I couldn't open my mouth) and very infected on one side. I was given zithromax twice (20 days) and it returned until I was finally given clindamycin and steroids which took the infection away but I still have a right swollen red tonsil and its rarely painful, no difficulty swallowing. I feel like this all started from post nasal drip which I am still dealing with. I've been spitting out phlegm for three months and it was always clear but is now bloody. Is it normal for my right tonsil to still be swollen months later? I'm also worried about the phlegm now. I have never smoked and not a heavy drinker. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blood tinged sputum is not due to tonsil...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query and an elaborate history. I'll try my best to help you with this problem.

1. The excessive phlegm with blood tinged could be due to the sinus infection and not due to the enlarged tonsil. The blood tinge is because of the damage to the tiny blood vessels in throat when you try to clear the throat.

2. Secondly, many a times there can be unilateral enlargement of the tonsil and it is absolutely normal. Yes, in infectious mononucleosis there can be unilateral enlargement of the tonsil. But, once the infection resolves, the affected tonsil may remain enlarged for the rest of the life and this is absolutely normal.

3. My suggestions to you are:
a. To drink plenty of warm water
b. To do steam inhalation whenever you find time
c. Try taking ambroxol to relieve the phlegm
d. To try using saline and steroid nasal sprays for the decongestion of the nose and the sinuses.

Hope with the above measures you will feel better. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 18 hours later
Ok. Thank you. I saw an ENT recently to ask him if this is normal to have a swollen tonsil for two months now after my major infections of it. He felt it but did not do any other tests. He said it felt hard and he's highly suspicious its cancer and would like to surgically remove my tonsil to biopsy. This swollen tonsil did not tjust become swollen out of the blue...it was due to tonsillitis/ cellulitis. Do you feel surgery is necessary?

Thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
I doubt cancer of the tonsil...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

I doubt cancer in this case, as you don't have any relevant symptoms. Only other thing to be ruled out is lymphoma which has to be confirmed with blood investigation.

If you can send me the image of the throat, I'll be able to help you in a better way.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj