What causes pain while swallowing?

My girlfriend has an inflammed gullet - following an allergic reaction to antibiotics for her sinus infection. She experiences a lot of pain when she swallows. Milk appears to smooth the pain, but eating food is unbareable. What can I/she do to help?
Fri, 11 Jun 2021

The commonest causes for difficulty in swallowing can be one of the following:
Epiglottitis.
Granular pharyngitis.
Tonsillitis.
Various types of ulcers like aphthous, apthoid, allergic.
Any other inflammatory cause.

Hence the best way is to consult an ENT Surgeon for proper endoscopy of oral cavity and pharynx to have the correct diagnosis, to be associated with investigations like that of blood, CT scan of sinuses to confirm whether there any sinusitis or not and get treated as per the cause. For painkiller purpose your patient should take only those painkillers that have suited her in past. Antibiotics are needed only if there is clinical symptoms like fever, body ache or raised White Cell Count. May need steroids and other medicines for symptomatic and supportive cause.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon