What causes tingling sensation throughout the body?

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I currently experiencing tingling throughout my entire body from head to my toes. No pain, just feels like ants are crawling on my hands and legs. I find it hard to work and sleep. No other symptoms. I don't take any kind of medication except for a daily Prilosec that I have been taking for the last 3 years.

My doctor just did a blood test on me and here are the results. He said my iron is high. Let me what you think can cause the tingling on my body.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are many cause of tingling.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question.
I've reviewed the attached reports and I can understand your concern.

You have generalized tingling. It can be due to neuropathy, vitamin B12 deficiency or some other causes like diabetes.

So you should rule out all these causes in the first place.

Yes your iron, ferritin and RBC count are high. But it is still not conclusively high. Take plenty of water and repeat your complete blood count after a week.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer.

Thanks for using health care magic.
Wish you a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 7 minutes later
I have attach the rest if the report. My b12 is normal. Can high iron ans RBC cause tingling?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be the cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your all reports.

Your vitamin B12 level is normal. Your iron is slightly high but ferritin is high. Your RBC count is also high.

So right now it is not fit in any diagnosis. Moreover other symptoms are also not there.

In my opinion you should retest your complete blood count, serum iron, serum ferritin , transferrin saturation and liver function test after 15 days.
That will help you to find exact cause.

Before that check your blood sugar level to rule out diabetes because it is the most common cause of tingling.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me.
I will be happy to answer. Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng