What causes sporadic chest pain while swallowing food or breathing?

Question
i have 15 year old son, who is having sporadic chest pain while swallowing food/drink and taking a deep breadth. it started yesterday evening in his dance class. do i need to be alarmed?
Fri, 11 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GERD. Not alarming.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Possibly your son is suffering from gastroesophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. As such, you need not be alarmed.

Your son needs to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist him to increase his dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise/pay/dance to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.