What causes swollen painful finger with blisters?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hi I have a swollen right finger that is painful and hot Ichi it will develop little blisters with clear fluid I do have herpes simplex virus 1 I am prone to cold sores I do not have genital herpes I do take valacyclovir and right now I'm on bactrim because a health care clinic nurse practitioner prescribe it for me singing my previous parts were bug bites it has only been on one arm and now both hands
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
continue drugs . acyclovir cream.allergy? NSAID

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Yes, you need to continue valacyclovir and bactrim. The cause for painful swelling and blister may be due to herpes or any injury. Apply cold compression and forherpes blisters topical acyclovir cream or ointment will be helpful. Along with this NSAID like aceclofenac with serratiopeptidase will help in reducing the symptoms. XXXXXXX allergic reactions also occur similarly like painful blisters and swelling. So if the lesions appeared after starting any new drug then you should stop that immediately and need to visit doctor for further evaluation.

I hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you faster recovery and good health.
Follow up: Dr. Lohit K 10 hours later
I dont have the valacyclovir cream. only the medication. I usually only take it when I feel im having an outbreak on my mouth. its 2 pills every 12 hours for 24 hours. is it a possibility that I have developed herpetic whitlow because I have hsv1? might I have gotten it touching the handles on the metro? I know for a fact I do not have hsv2, neither does my husband. it feels much the way a cold sore blister feels on my mouth when I get one. im still taking the bactrim until its finished. any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 43 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue drugs.Topical acyclovir, HSV1-Herpetic wh

Detailed Answer:

Yes, you can get herpetic whitlow due to HSV1. HSV-1 causes around 60% of herpetic whitlow infections, while HSV-2 causes only 40%. You shold not pop any lesions and wear glouse to prevent spreading and also to prevent any infection.
Infection transferred from metro handles may be possible but very rare.

You need to continue valacyclovir pills and topical acyclovir ointment may help you. You can continue bactrim until the course is finished.

Hope this answered your query. If you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.