• question-icon

What causes swelling in the groin area?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I know this is gross, however, I have what appears to be a boil on my buttocks. Additionally, I have a swollen and tender lymph node in my groin area. I'm assuming these are both correlated since they appeared around the same time (within days of each other). The boil has reduced in size since this morning. I do not have a fever (I don't think), no chills, etc. Is this normal? I wasn't planning on going to see my primary care physician. Do you agree?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibly related

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. The cause for the boil can be many, such as an infection of a hair follicle due to poor hygiene, use of harsh chemicals in cleaning products, problems with the immune system or poor nutrition.
The swollen groin lymph node, while more common in viral illnesses, may also be due to a cyst or STD.
In any case, a swollen tender groin node needs to get immediate medical attention.
There is a possible relation between the swollen gland and the boil due to an STD, so I recommend you see a doctor for further investigation and adequate treatment.

I hope this helps.
Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi