question-icon

What causes swelling in the face while on Acetaminophen?

Posted on Tue, 5 Sep 2017
Question: I have been taking Bactrim DS for a sinus problem and last night i was in so much pain a acetaminophen hydrocdone this morning my right of face is puffly do i need to just let this meds get out of my boby and I am not taking the BactrimDs this morning/
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
you should contact your doctor immediately

Detailed Answer:

if the area above the infected sinus is puffy and painful then you should contact your doctor at once, as this manifestation may be a sign of expansion of the pathogen to the surrounding tissues which makes the infection worse regarding its severity and the treatment's prospective efficacy. In other words it may be a sign that Bactrim DS is not right for your case. Bactrim DS is not a great treatment for sinusitis anyway because there are many resistant pathogens in the community.

Another consideration might be allergic reaction to either Bactrim or hydrocodone but unilateral swelling would be an unusual way for allergy to present with. In any case a doctor has to assess this situation (to examine you) as soon as possible.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis