What causes pain in the left leg post shingles treatment?
Post Shingles neuropathic pain killer treatment
Hi Larrybatery, thanks for asking from HCM.
I can understand your concern. The pain after Shingles is very severe, current like/burning type, radiates to a particular dermatome as you mentioned. It can be treated by
- Avoid touching/scratching/pouring warm water over it.
- Applying capsaicin ointment locally at pain site.
- Lidocaine patch to get relief for long term.
- Taking neuropathy pain killers like
Gabapentine (usual adult dose is 300mg what I prescribe)
Pregabaline (usual adult dose is 150-450mg what I prescribe)
Combination of Gabapentine or Pregabaline with Nortriptyline
- If still no relief, you can also take opioid agonists along with above medication like tramadol, hydrocodone (only after prescription).
- If still no relief, nerve ablation therapy with alcohol/phenol/radiofrequency ablation can also be done. It is attempted upon the involved nerve root.
I think this much treatment will help you. If you have nay doubt, please let me know.
I will be happy to help you.
Thanks. Take care.