What causes pain in the left leg post shingles treatment?

Dr. Ishu Bishnoi

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I think I have nerve pain from shingles. I cannot drive my car for so long without pain from my rear to my left leg to foot what meds do you recommend.
Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post Shingles neuropathic pain killer treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi Larrybatery, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. The pain after Shingles is very severe, current like/burning type, radiates to a particular dermatome as you mentioned. It can be treated by

- Avoid touching/scratching/pouring warm water over it.

- Applying capsaicin ointment locally at pain site.

- Lidocaine patch to get relief for long term.

- Taking neuropathy pain killers like
Gabapentine (usual adult dose is 300mg what I prescribe)
Pregabaline (usual adult dose is 150-450mg what I prescribe)
Combination of Gabapentine or Pregabaline with Nortriptyline
Oxcarbamazepine therapy

- If still no relief, you can also take opioid agonists along with above medication like tramadol, hydrocodone (only after prescription).

- If still no relief, nerve ablation therapy with alcohol/phenol/radiofrequency ablation can also be done. It is attempted upon the involved nerve root.

I think this much treatment will help you. If you have nay doubt, please let me know.
I will be happy to help you.
Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng