Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

What causes severe knee pain after an injury?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 4939 Questions
Have son 38 yers old. Ex wife committed suicide 3 years ago by hanging herself after being reeased from a rehab unit for Bi Polar and alcohol treatment. Left with 2 kids now 12 and 17. Married again and had 2 boys age 4 and 5. Divorced last week. Toxic relationship. 4 weeks ago played basketball and fell hurting his right knee which swelled up and large man fell on his feet somehow and they swelled and he was unable to walk and in great pain. His back hurt and his left wrist hurting (had broken wrist 10 years ago and had plate placed with screws. Hands weak, feet still bothering him, unable to walk without crutches and using wheelchair. Been to ER 4 times in last 3 weeks. Twice by ambulance. x-rays were negaive for fractures, MRI done on right knee - see ortho doctor on Monday. He has lost about 50 pounds since February. His thighs and calves have lost muscle and his face is gaunt. He had Toradol injection twice which helped some, had RX for hydrocodone and tylenol #3 did some good, got Prednisone 20 mg 3 daily for 5 days. This seemed to really help for awhile but then pain unbearable and he couldn't get up to even go to bathroom. Using urinal. Denies using illegal drugs but had a history a couple of years ago. Has no PCP because he's not usually sick (went to ER for pneumonia several years ago and had the wrist surgery 10 years ago) Has no insurance until after January 1, 2018 then Obamacare. Why is he having so much pain in his feet and joints after this long. I'm really worried about him. He's not working and has 5 kids living with him. What could be wrong and what could help him recover quicker? He's been taking Ibuprofen 800 mg 3 - 4 times a day for pain. He did get an IV on the 23rd and he said that helped some. He hasn't been eating much since he hasn't been able to cook and I can't be there 24/7 due to fx of right foot and recovering from massive rotator cuff injury and surgery. Now he's thinking he has a parasite or something. I need to know what we can do to help him.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ortho, psychiatrist and physiotherapy suggested as following

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the medical history of your son and understood your concerns.

Where to begin? 1. Orthopedic doctor, you have an appointment on Monday.

2. Injury he had on his knee is giving the feeling of pain. Physiotherapy can help along with meds. Discuss with ortho doctor what the best physiotherapy for him.

3. Psychological support. Should see psychiatrist and psychologist for psycho therapy.

4. I am sorry he has to feed 4 children. Should ask for governmental financial aid.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor