What causes sudden onset of pain in the left arm?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: sudden onset of pain in left arm & cramping of fingers on left hand
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
The sudden onset of pain and cramping in the hand can be due to a mild nerve root compression at the level of cervical spine due to cervical spondylosis.
It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal