What causes soreness in the gums?

Posted on Sat, 27 May 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Last evening and through the night I experienced discomfort in my gums. It was soreness in my gums feeling like a toothache mostly above my upper teeth. I am 65 and do experience hypertension.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gum pain unusual presentation of hypertension

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You notice gum pain last night when you missed your Diovan medication. Upon taking the medication your pain subsided. This could mean your blood pressure was elevated last night as a result of missing your medication. Having gum pain is not a usual manifestation of elevated blood pressure but it could be related. With elevated blood pressure you can get increased facial pressure and headaches which you manifested as gum pain. I recommend that you monitor your blood pressure closely and remember to take your medications regularly

In summary
1. Elevated blood pressure causing facial pain or gum pain
2. Remember to take medication regularly

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care concerns or questions or if you have any other information you need

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ronald Schubert