What causes sore lump on head and itchy scalp after hair dye?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi I have a sore lump on my head that appeared after I dyed my hair. My scalp has been really itchy since but the lump hasn't gone down. It's very sore after I've touched h ed.
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Folliculitis scalp, need for antibiotic.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You seem to have developed a skin allergy after the use of hair XXXXXXX The most important thing is that you should not the the same hair XXXXXXX ever again.
Now your present problem is the sore that you have developed.
You must have developed a lesion of folliculitis after the allergic reaction .
You should start intake of an antihistamine like benadryl or tablet claritin once a day in order to bring down the skin allergy.
Apply a topical antibiotic cream like neosporin or mupirocin over the skin sore twice a day.
Make sure you wash your hair regularly, atleast every alternate day to keep them clean.
Avoid using hair oils.
In most cases, only application of topical antibiotic cream helps.
In addition you can take some oral anti inflammatory agent like paracetamol to decrease the associated swelling and pain.
You might need a course of oral antibiotics in case the lesion persists or tends to increase inspite of the above therapy .

Dr Geetika Paul