What does a mastoidectomy involve?
there are different types of procedures
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
The mastoid bone, along with 3 other bones, form/make up the temporal bone.
There are different types of procedures that can be done on the mastoid bone. From a simple procedure called simple mastoidectomy to a radical mastoidectomy. There is also a modified radical mastoidectomy.
Some specialist may also mention a canal wall up mastoidectomy and a canal wall down mastoidectomy
The procedures vary according to what is done.
In a simple mastoidectomy, the surgeon would open the mastoid bone and remove any infected or damaged areas.
With a radical and modified radical mastoidectomy, there may be some hearing loss. With a radical mastoidectomy , the ear drum is removed along with the mastoid, there may also be changes to the other parts of the middle ear as well.
Modified mastoidectomy is less severe but hearing loss can still occur in some persons.
The procedure is done under general anesthesia, there is no particular pre op required by the patient.
Post operatively--(1) the affected ear needs to be kept dry when bathing by possibly covering it with a cup or a petroleum covered cotton ball to the ear
(2) the packing that is placed in the ear canal is removed 1 to 2 weeks after surgery, topical antibiotics would sometimes then be started.
Oral antibiotics may have been given prior to that.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?