Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

What causes shortness of breath with chest discomfort?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 709 Questions
I am experiencing shortness of breath after I eat. I also experience some mild chest discomfort after I eat. Even with small meals I experience this. Lying down helps, but it does not completely go away. Could this be a hiatal hernia?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: can be GERD Detailed Answer: Hello madam and thanks for using healthcaremagic, From your symptoms it does appear that you have reflux. At the lower end of the food pipe there is a sphincter. Laxity of that sphincter causes ingested food to reflux back into the food pipe causing chest discomfort and heart burn. Chances of reflux are more when there is a hiatal hernia. But the presence of hiatal hernia can be confirmed only by upper GI endoscopy. You will require antacids and prokinetics to control your symptoms. Prokinetics will empty your stomach faster so that chances of reflux are fewer. If your symptoms do not improve then you need to see a gastroenterologist for an upper GI endoscopy. GERD can be confirmed or refuted only on endoscopy and also a hiatal hernia can be looked for. Sometimes heart disease can also present with the same symptoms as GERD. Taking your age into account i suggest that you should also meet with a physician to rule out heart disaese. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes shortness of breath with chest discomfort? 7 hours later
I am also experiencing a deep discomfort between my shoulder blades in my back. I had a stress test last yr which was negative. I also experience some chest discomfort with exertion. I have been taking Nexium for about 2 day and have found no relief. When I lie down this seems to be somewhat better. My rheumatologist suggested it could be pericarditis. Could this it instead? who should I see a GI doctor or cardiologist. I have a bad LDL of 199 and my cholesterol is starting to run high. I am lethargic but not sure if it is related to lupus or something else.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: physician (internal medicine) or cardiologist Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Chest discomfort on exertion points towards a cardiac problem. So please see either a general physician or a cardiologist. Till then do not exert yourserlf unnecessarily. Hope you feel better soon. Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor