What causes sharp pain in rib cage when suffering from fibromyalgia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I've had Fibromyalgia for app. 30 years. Have had several severe attacks to my rib cage on the left side, that was thought to be heart related but was not. Yesterday, I took melatonin for sleep problems.(I've slept only app. 4 hours per night for the last 5 nights.) Immed. upon taking it (I don't necessarily think its related) I had sharp pains in my right rib cage. Now I am extremely sore there and it has moved around to the other side as well. I am having a hard time holding myself up due to the pain. I have taken Aleve, which I take on a regular basis, and it seems to have helped some. Is there anything else I can do short of seeing a doctor?
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
I don’t think pain is related to melatonin

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case.
I don’t think pain is related to melatonin tab intake.

It can be due to sudden nerve irritation or due to fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia can not be totally cured, you can only minimise symptoms by taking various medications. You can start Lyrica (pregabalin) consulting you’re treating doctor.

Exercises and stretches plays important role in maintaining symptoms of fibromyalgia

Physiotherapy like ultrasound and tens will help, along with knee exercises.

Till time continue your medication.

A holistic approach is required, which includes exercises, meditation, SKY [sudarshan XXXXXXX yoga] and acupuncture along with healthy diet and herbs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.