What causes sharp muscle pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2014
Sep 2014

Question
I have a sharp pain that causes me to take shallow breaths until it subsides, whenever I lie on my left side. It sometimes happens when I am upright, probably when I move wrong. I found that aspirin takes it away after about 10 - 15 min. But when I am in bed and it happens, I cannot move to get aspirin. It is too painful. How can this problem be rectified? Is there anything that can be done to eliminate the problem? I think it happened when I was exercising using light weights for my pectoral muscles, which was as least 10 years ago.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Pain Management

Answered by Dr. Ganesh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscle pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to health care magic.
Iam Dr. Ganesh.

1. Your symptoms are more related to musculoskeletal pain, because it giving relief on changing the position and movements.

2.And you have a valid cause as you are saying it started after a workup with weights.

3.In this case you can try get physiotherapy or massage and get some pain killers.

4. If your pain is more than 6 on a scale of 10 and pain is there for more than 2 weeks, then we can suspect some bony injury ( you may had a fracture unknowingly during weight lifting / workup) for recent cause not the old one.

5.In that case, get an appointment with your GP and get examined and request for a X-ray PA/ Lateral views of your chest - which will help to find out any fractures at the same time we can find out if it is some thing to do with lung pathology. Depending on the findings you can further followup. Even if you have stopped weight lifting / it will give a broad picture of your chest(bony) and lung pathologies.

Hope i have answered your query.
If you have any thing to ask, do not hesitate.
Thank you for approaching health care magic.
Dr. Ganesh.

Follow-up: What causes sharp muscle pain? 43 hours later
It never lasts more than 10 - 20 minutes at a time. I had a chest x-ray about a month ago for some other reason, and they said everything was okay. What is physiotherapy and where do I go for it ? Would I have to see a specialist to get his or her okay for the therapy ? Is this or massage the only way to get rid of the pain for good ?
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ganesh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get an ultrasound examination done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you with the extra details provided.

1. Physiotherapy is exercise based, done by physical therapists generally indicated by your GP.

2.After you said that pain last for 10 - 20 minutes, I feel like it could be some intra abdominal cause, causing radiating pain.(GB pathology, Pancreatic,ductal,renal)

3. Get an appointment and let your GP examine and if required an ultrasound abdomen pelvis can be ordered, which will narrow down the diagnosis. If it is a musculoskeletal then physiotherapy can be indicated.

Hope i have answered your query.
wish you good health.
Dr. Ganesh.