What causes severe pain in calf muscle while treating RA?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: From last year I m having Rehumtiod Arthritis in my both knee. I was fine till month back but there was some swelling on my knee so I started consultation at XXXXXXX Hospital they have prescribed me below medicine and had following test my Anticcp was negative and RA factor was 45 n ESR IS 30. I have little anemia and blood shown thelsimia minor.
Hcqs 200 mg
Proxym 300 mg both twice a dialy.
Methoxyrate 5mg twice a week.
Folic acid 5mg dialy.

Since last 10 days there is so much pain in my calf n I am not able to sleep I dialy use to sleep in morning 5 am due to this pain. This pain only occurs when I sleep and only in night.

What is the cause for this pain ? I was avoiding proxym tablet as this was pain killer tablet and I was not having any pain in my knee so I use to avoid this medicine.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Electrolyte disturbance, dehydration, Muscle fatigue, anaemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

You seem to be having muscular cramps in the calf muscle. This could be because if Electrolyte disturbance, dehydration, Muscle fatigue, anaemia.

Do keep your limb elevated, apply hot moist packs to the painful region. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Keep well hydrated. Drink one glass of fresh lemon juice daily.

You can take Tablet Neurokind LC or Tablet Carnitor 500mg once a day to improve muscle strength and metabolism. Do daily walking for 45 minutes.

Since you have anaemia, you need to discuss with your treating Physician about the use of Methotrexate in your treatment, because Methotrexate is known to cause anaemia in long term use.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 48 minutes later
Is this Electrolyte imbalance because of RA? Is Carnitor safe to take with these medicines?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Due to dehydration

Detailed Answer:
The imbalance could be due to reduced water intake, diet rich in sodium and other factors. You need to take 2-3 litres of water daily.