question-icon

What causes severe pain in back of neck and lower head?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014
Question: I get shooting pain back of neck right hand side Pain lower head makes me feel sick some times
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Need MRI of neck.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Frombyour description of the pain, this is likely to be related to your cervical spine. You may have a herniated disc, cervical spondylitis or other conditions of the spine.
I suggest an MRI of your neck would help with diagnosis and a visit to an orthopedic specialist. In the meantime take paracetamol and ibuprofen.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB. FRCA
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist