What causes dizziness upon exertion and pain at the back of the head?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Doctor,My wife 29yrs old ,when ever she looks up she gets driziness and also while waking up from the bed.She experience severe pain from back of her head up to the neck and shoulder. Please advice..She also has hypothyroidism.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are suggestive of peripheral vertigo.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your wife's clinical details. Based on this, her symptoms are suggestive of peripheral vertigo. In this condition, dizziness is caused due to a problem in the ear. The most common cause is BPPV- benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. For the relief of symptoms, Vertin tablets can be used. It improves in most people within 7-10 days.

For back and neck pain, physiotherapy would help. Neck extension exercises should be started after the pain subsides.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 35 minutes later
thank you so much sir. however she started taking vertin 16 from today however for how many days she has to take the tablet? what can be the reason for peripheral vertigo? she doesn't have any problem with her ear post her neck pain she started getting dizziness.. please advice...
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vertin is usually needed for 5-7 days.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

As the condition subsides in 5-7 days, she would need vertin for that much duration. In one day, she can use upto a maximum of three tablets, as per the requirement.

If the ENT check up is normal, it is a good news.

Her symptoms could be related to mild cervical spondylitis, which would improve with physiotherapy (as mentioned above).

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng