What causes severe headache while on Bactrim for prostate infection?

Dr. BR Hudda

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had a headache with increasing severity for over a week. I've tried Tylenol, then Advil, and now Aleve. Each worked briefly. I'm a 56 year old male, CEO, endurance athlete, generally good health except for CAD, treated with stents in 2012 and controlled by Esselstyn diet since. BP 118/70. I did 24 minutes on last stress test treadmill, and with nuclear imaging and echo cardiogram shows no ischemia. For two weeks I've been on Bactrin for a suspected prostate infection. The headache started about a week into the Bactrin medication. I typically drink 2 glasses of wine a night. I dropped to 1/2 tonight. I took 2 aleve 3 hours ago. Got some relief and now its back. Appetite at dinner tonight was less than 1/2 normal for first time I can remember.
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bactrim may cause headache, need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I appreciate your concern
Bactrim may cause headache and aseptic meningitis as a side effect but that responds well to pain killers

Since your cardiac profile is normal so I would advise you to consult a neurologist for physical examination, an MRI and MRV to establish a diagnosis for headache.

Here I would like to know are you having any problems with vision, are you feeling giddiness or is it one sided headache or affecting entire headache?

You might have developed drug induced gastritis thats why you are having less appetite so I would advise you to take pantoprazole or ranitidine group of drug with antacids for 3 to 5 days.
Avoid coffee, wine and high fatty and spicy food
you should try some relaxation exercise and stress management techniques.
Please write back to me with these details so that I will be able to tell you more accurately
waiting for your reply
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. BR Hudda 6 hours later
No vision issues or giddiness. I eat no fatty foods but do eat spicy and decaf and wine. I'm on Prilosec for gerd but starch feels ok- just no appetite. I was hospitalized last night. They ran blood panel and did a neurological work up. All unremarkable. Discharged me last night. I woke up w the same headache and my fever went from 99.8 last night to now 102.9. My PC is worried about meningitus but the hospital said if it was after a 2 week headache I would be far more symptomatic
Answered by Dr. BR Hudda 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please upload me the reports

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Since your neurological work up is normal so you need not to worry about meningitis
High grade fever might be associated with headache
Here I would like to know if you are having chills and rigor during fever and headache and which area of head is involved?

Please upload me all the relevant reports like CBC, liver function test and urine test, if these tests are not ordered than I would advise you for these test along with an X ray PNS.

You should avoid wine for some time and you can take paracetamol for fever and headache.
Hope this answers your question
Please write back to me with these details so that I will be able to tell you more precisely
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar