What does dark colored semen indicate?

Dr. Rudina Balliu

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: What does dark colored semen, like dark tea in color mean? This has happened the last two times, about a week apart. Normally it is clear.

Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello There!
Thank you for asking Health Care Magic.
I have gone through your question and i understand your concern.
Are a lot of possible situations that can cause dark colored sperm : infection ( prostate infection ), trauma , tumor, prostate enlargement ...

Since you have been having this for more then 1 week i would suggest to contact your local doctor for further examinations to confirm the diagnosis.
.
He will perform a physical examination to you, blood tests, you need to take urine test.
According to the results of the examinations ,you will start a treatment if needed ( antibiotic in case of an infection...).

Meanwhile drink planty of fluid, take Tylenol or Ibuprofen ( be sure you are not allergic first) if you have ( or start to experience) any pain or fever.

Hope the answer is helpfull.
Take Care !
Dr Balliu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj