What causes severe abdominal pain and nausea?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: last week had excruciatig debilitating back and abdominal pain went to hospital was dignosed with diverticulitis last night experience violent nausea have a fever although I been on ciprofloxin and Flagl and several pain meds . back and rifgt hip still debiltating pain . Headace I know I am dehydrated because f vomitting cant keep anything down.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be a complication of diverticulitis which did not resolve.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/58 - debilitating excruciating back and abdominal pain - last week - went to hospital and diagnosed as diverticulitis - been on Ciprofloxacin, Flagyl, Valium, Ibuprofen 600, hydrocodone - violent nausea and fever last night - pain in back and right hip - headache - knows that you are dehydrated because of vomiting...
As per the history you have put-in, this looks to be non-resolving diverticulitis, may be with some complication like abscess formation or so.
I would advise you the following in such a case:
Report back to the hospital asap.
Tests of blood, urine, stool.
CT scan of the abdomen and hips to know the present situation you are in.
May need additional treatment, replacement by intravenous fluids and electrolytes.
Treatment with a PPI, and for vomiting.
To see whether there is gastritis due to medication and stress of the problems.
To reduce/stop some of the medications as they can cause gastritis.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early status of the problems that symptomatic and definitive treatment can be given.

Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.