What causes runny nose, dizziness, abdominal bloating and nausea in an elderly person?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi Dr. XXXXXXX Rynne,

I am a 60 yr old female. Symptoms; exelerated heart rate, blood pressure; can't below 160; taking to blood pressure medications. Started with runny nose, then nausea, shaking, hot then cold, wake up and I'm soaked. My stomach hurts near the top, it is bloated and honestly it looks like I am pregnant, which there is no way I am. I'm dizzy, lightedheaded, nauseas. Tried the "bread diet" suggested by the nurse at the doctor's office. She said it is probably a bacteria from the lettuce I ate. Said to give it a couple of days and I will feel better. That was Tuesday; would like some advice. I feel like let's put this bandaid on it, then try another bandaid. I feel like the don't want to help, just put a bandaid on it. They tell me if I don't get better, then to call. Drink 1 cup coffee in the am, then water the rest of the day. Drink Gatorade once a day. I'v been living on bananas, rice, and applesauce, have had two pieces of bread since Tuesday. Almost done with my 16 oz bottle of Pepto-Bismal. I haven't had a bowel movement since Monday. Am urinating may 3 times in a day. I do have diabetes, we are trying to control it with Metforman. Doctor didn't prescribe enough to last 4 weeks, got it re-filled, now am starting all over again with the 1 pill a day for three days, etc. etc. etc.

I lost 8 pounds from last Saturday to Thursday; this morning 2 pounds up. I get sharp pains in the top part of my stomach under my breasts, lower right, abdomen, left side of my stomach. I do have a lap band; so I can't swallow without drinking water and swallowing hard. Then I get full after two bites of food and have to wait a few minutes for the food to pass before I can eat again. Last doctor's visit; doctor was in and out so fast, I didn't get to ask about this, even though it was on the paper we fill out before seeing the doctor; which by the way, nobody looks at those things.
Blood Pressure I can't get below 160
Blood Sugar, lowest it has been this week is 184. How is that possible when you don't eat anything. Believe me, I am eating 1 banana day, a small tub of unsweetened applesauce and about a cup of rice a day.

Sorry for being all over the place.
Sorry; forgot to mention, my breathing has become labored, I get short of breath when I walk from front of house to the back which is not very far. Walk from the office in the back to my desk in the front, I have to sit down to catch my breath.My memory is awful, will read something and turn away, I have to back and read it again, sometimes twice. I lose thought in the middle of a sentence; everyone tells me oh no big deal, it's because you are getting old. I was seeing a whatever she was in the St. Joseph's whatever it is; see I can't remember what they call it and I am there every three months, for a med check. She gave me a 10 minute memory test and said your memory is fine. My hands don't want to work right, have a hard time with putting earrings in; cutting my toenails, my crocheting, have to shake my hands a couple of times to get my right hand to work. Figure that is probably due to my arthritis. Back in 2013 before I had neck surgery at Barrow's Institute at St. Joe's
I was headache like pains in the top of my head, they did a brain scan. The 4 Year resident called and said they found a black spot deep inside the brain. They think I had a very very very tiny stroke. Sent me to a Neurologist; XXXXXXX Kaufman; what a piece of crap he is. Never once looked me in the eyes. Sent me for blood work; they took 13 vials of blood. When I went back he said he does not think I had a stroke; all the blood work showed negative. Told me to quit smoking and quit taking the hormones for my hot flashes, which I have been going through for 10 years now. He call someone at St. Joe's he knows and they both determined there was no stroke. Well I didn't think anything of it, they led me to believe it is nothing. I had blood work done at the clinic almost 2 weeks ago. Doc said we would review the results next time I am in, which was to be 2 weeks, but with the holiday coming up, have to wait 4 weeks. Finally left a message asking for a call from the doctor to review the results.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Two scenarios for your health problems explained below

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

There are 2 scenarios in your case:
- chronic illness: diabetes, high blood pressure
- acute illness: gastroenteritis (nausea, bloating), possible gastritis, dehydration

Bowels might have slowed down movement due to meds and diet for bowel infection. This explains the pain on left side.
Probiotics can help.

Increased acidity of the stomach can also cause the pain you feel on your abdomen.
Antacids can help.

The acute problems you are facing are recognized as stress by your body. The reaction to such stress is associated with persistent high blood pressure although you have not been eating much these days.

As these problems have been going on for several days now, ask to consult further with gastroenterologist to determine the right diagnosis and if you need prescription medication.

A complete blood count and electrolyte balance should be carried out together with abdominal ultrasound and stool examination and culture.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.
Dr.Albana

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Thank you so much Dr. Albana for answering and in terms for the most part, I could understand. Do you think any of this may is associated with having the lap band?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be related to lap band but see below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Your gastrointestinal problems could be related to lap band.

Your losing weight also, but we should compare your clinical findings (now) with the previous ones to determine if they are related to an organic problem or anxiety attack. This is very important.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr.Albana