What causes red spots around neck?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I notice red spots around my neck. I wonder if it has something to do with the sweat I have around my neck and chest at night occasionally. I had these spots before last year and it eventually went away but now it is back again . Is it can aver related?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
?? Fungal infection more likely in my opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I would like to start by listing the most likely causes for the little red bumps around the neck, before I put forward the most likely cause in my opinion.

+Bacterial infections (e.g. carbuncles, folliculitis, acne, boils, etc.) are all simple conditions that occur due to exposure to bacteria and can easily be treated by oral and topical antibiotics

+Allergic reaction to various substances like new sheets, new clothing material, new body accessories, new detergent, etc; can be treated with the help of anti-histamine a

+Fungal infection: Very common, especially in those regions which are left moist. Fungus thrive in moist and wet regions

+Viral infections: Some sexually transmitted infections like herpes can also present with a presentation similar to yours

In my opinion, a fungal infection is most likely due to the fact that you have been sweating quite often at night leaving the region wet and vulnerable for fungus to thrive in. The application of a topical anti-fungal cream should more than suffice, but you will require a confirmation of diagnosis by visiting a doctor, before we can initiate treatment.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Should the night sweats be a serious concern?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not necessarily

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Night sweats can be commonly seen either due to the temperature changes in the room or due to stressful dreams or life. But if none of these are present then we should consider and rule out a few conditions like hypoglycemia, etc.

An elaborate evaluation will be required to find the cause for that and I would recommend an elaborate health checkup with a doctor for the same.

Best wishes sir.
Dr. Shoaib Khan