What causes rashes on chest, abdomen and shoulders?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Hello my name is XXXX I'm a 21 year old man. I have had this rash for years now and I'm wondering what it could be. It's only on my chest stomach shoulders and arms. It's difficult to describe it but the rash is blotchy in some spots and in others it's like spread out bumps. it is orange most of the time but occasionally turns red. a doctor told me years ago it was an allergic reaction but nothing I've done has worked on it
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to psoriasis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be due to psoriasis. If you send a picture of the rashes it will be more helpful. Allergic rashes will come and go and it usually come in other places also. Also allergic rashes will respond to corticosteroid or antihistamine faster.
Do you have any scaling or silvery appearance in the rashes?
Is it associated with itching?

If it is psoriasis then applying ointments or creams containing salicylic acid and corticosteroid will be helpful. Moisturizers like liquid paraffin also will be helpful using along with this.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Nishad BN