Suggest body lotion and lip care products for the winter

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: As the winter has finally come, I would like to know best body lotion and lip care products that I should use to keep my dry skin well moisturized..
Also, I want to know what ingredients I need to look for before buying a product such as body lotion or lip care products...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for dry skin and dry lips

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am Dr. Kakkar(Dermatologists and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

For winter dry skin you may use a moisturizer with one or more of the following ingredients like light liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin, glycerin, squalane, vitamin E, Cetearyl alcohol, hyaluronic acid etc e.g either Moisturex soft lotion or Oilatum cream/lotion, Venusia lotion, Cetaphil moisturizing lotion etc.

However, for severely dry skin like in ichthyosis and for cracked heels/ soles I usually suggest a moisture that contains ingredients with exfoliative as well as moisture retention properties like urea, ammonium lactate, lactic acid, glycolic acid, sodium PCA etc e.g Moisturex cream, Xerina Cream or Lacsoft lotion etc.

Dry lips are common in winters. For dry lips in winters, I suggest a lip balm with ingredients like liquid paraffin or petrolatum among others e.g Vaseline lip balm or NMF-e lip balm.

Besides these specific measures, I would suggest you keep your skin hydrated from within by drinking 2-3litres of water daily.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee