What causes rapid heart rate and dizziness?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 62 year old female. Today i had rapid heart beat followed with a feeling of breathlessness and slight dizziness for no apparent reason. I feel kin of tired now. Are these symptoms of a heart attack. I should mention that I am also suffering from some sinus issues. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's likely an arrhythmia like atrial fibrillation or PSVT

Detailed Answer:

This can be a cardiac arrhythmia like psvt or atrial fibrillation, in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases. This is less likely to be a heart attack. These are usually, not life threatening.

Blood pressure falls during these episodes and one has dizziness, fainting, blackouts, sometimes syncope. Usually ecg is normal as it is usually done in between the episodes. ECG done during episodes will show abnormality however ecg should be done. So you will need 24 hour holter monitoring if ecg is normal. So visit nearby cardiologist for these investigation.

ln order to abort such episodes you should try to cough hard.

Till the time your evaluation is complete, you can ask your local doctor for tab Metoprolol XR 25 mg once a day, which will prevent such rapid increase I heart rate.

If none of the above is successful then last option is of electrophysiological studies which is invasive test which can diagnose the arrhythmias and treat the arrhythmia permanently in most of the cases.

Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Sagar Makode 25 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome...
All the best.

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist