What causes rapid heart beats with headaches and nausea?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Fri, 30 May 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi..I'm having strong symptoms and I'm not sure what is going on or if i should go and see a doctor. I'm having rapid heart beats, headaches, i'm light headed, nauseous, my upper left arm hurts and its now going into my wrists..I'm frightened and I'm not sure whats going on
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below
Detailed answer...
I can understand your situation,but going by your symptoms and considering your age,I feel that you are most likely having acute panic attack.However to bring peace of mind and to rule out any heart involvement,you are advised to go to ER.
A proper physical examination,a normal cardiac finding and anti anxiety medications shall calm your nerves.
There is nothing to worry and be cool and patient and go to ER.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Okay, thank you! Last night, I was woken out of my sleep from my heart pounding rapid and hard. I wasn't having a nightmare or anything which makes me a bit concerned. About a month ago, i also started waking up to my fingers being completely stiff to the point where I can't move them. Does that have to do with my heart ? I'm also having body aches, not only in my arms, but in my legs as well. Thanks again for your quick reply!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 55 minutes later
I again say that chances of it being a heart condition look remote,however you must consult a cardiologist to rule it out.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 minutes later
Thank you..what are the symptoms for a heart condition ?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Panic attacks and heart attacks can feel similar,like ...chest pain,vertigo,palpitations,dizziness,shortness of breath,sweating,numbness of arms and feet,fainting etc.
When in doubt,one should get it cleared by getting appropriate tests done.
It is always better to be safe rather than feel sorry later on.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Yes...but would I have aching pains in my arms? I was on birth control when these symptoms started as well but i stopped it 2 weeks ago, and I've been taking it for about a year now. I stopped it to give my body a break
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
Stopping of birth control pills normally doesn't result in aching arms.The most common symptoms of stooping birth control pills after a prolonged use are nausea,headache,fluctuating emotions,breast tenderness etc.
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Okay. I went to the hospital tonight..everything turned out okay. I had a little high blood pressure, from stress I'm guessing. Do you suggest a good anxiety medication ? Thanks. :)
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 17 minutes later
First of all I would like to say is that anxiety and panic attacks can be treated easily.
You can start by adopting non medical and natural remedies to take care of the anxiety.
This includes...
Avoiding recreational drugs and cutting alcohol,nicotine and caffeine.
Taking enough sleep.
Doing regular aerobic exercises for at least 45 minutes a day.
Eating Fresh fruits and green vegetables.
Avoiding junk foods and colas.
Doing yoga,meditation and deep breathing exercises.

if these methods don't bring any substantial relief to your anxiety,then you can take the anti anxiety drugs like ALZOLAM,DIAZEPAM,CLONAZEPAM etc.These anti anxiety medications are however,prescription products and hence you have to consult your doctor for the prescription.
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 hours later
Okay..I went to the hospital last night and the doctor said it was nothing with my heart it was all severe anxiety and panic attacks were making my heart race and blood pressure go up.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 33 minutes later
As I explained you above that anti anxiety medicines can not be purchased without prescription and hence you have to consult your doctor for the prescription,because online doctors can not provide you with that.
With the help of medicines and some life style changes,one can effectively control the anxiety symptoms and panic attacks.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 19 minutes later
Yes. Thank you very much for your help Dr Gupta!
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 minutes later
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks