• question-icon

What causes pigmentation on tongue, constipation, flatulence and loss of appetite?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello doctor i m XXXXX male age 26 weight 57 my problem are
1.thick coating half portion back tongue , white in morning , during day changes colour acc. to food , also increase after eating then decrease.
2.constipation not complete or satisfactory bowel sometime less quantity .
3.flatuelnce and sometime smelly flatulence after dinner my discmfort increase on bed .
4.less appetite but want to eat , craving for sweet things . sometiime vibration in lower stomach ,
doctors say ibs
when less coating on tongue feel less discomfort in stomach. i m suffering from this problem last four years . also i decrease weight in this time. sometime uneasy dreams.

also my tsr , haemogloabin, hepatitis , diabeties, thyroid tests normal
stool and urine also normal in test.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pigmentation is normal physiological change, dietary changes and drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I have gone through your query.

Pigmentation of the tongue is usually physiologic - natural. Physiologic pigmentation is racially and genetically determined. Physiologic pigmentation is symptom-less and does not require any treatment.
Smoking and chewing tobacco can also cause pigmentation. Avoid this if you do. You have to maintain good degree of oral hygiene and you can use chlorhexidine mouth wash, which will be beneficial.

Regarding the other symptoms, I would have asked you to drink plenty of water, avoid spicy food, alcohol, moderate the intake of meat. Increase the amount of vegetable in your diet, high fiber diet will be beneficial. Eat small frequent meals instead of heavy meal. Avoid dairy products as they can also be responsible.
I would have prescribed capsule omeprazole 20 mg once daily before breakfast , empty stomach, for 10 days and probiotics like sporolac or ecobion for week will be beneficial. These need to be done with dietary changes, then it will be beneficial.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Ashwini Kolur 52 minutes later
mam not pigmentation but coating of like residue of food left on tongue . what caused weight loss and cravings for sweet things i dont smoke or chew tobacco. this coating problem arrived four years ago.
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
coating post food is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Good to hear from you.
Coating of tongue post food is normal, you just need to maintain high degree of oral hygiene. Without examining you, it would be difficult to say why there is weight loss.
How much weight you have lost and in how many days? I don't think there is anything wrong in having sweets, I don't think you need to worry about it, till your reports are fine.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Ashwini Kolur