How can flatulence be treated while being on Lamictal, Clonazepam and Gabapentin?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 26 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor...you've been very helpful in the past. I have moved from Parnate to Marplan (isocarboxazid) and my current doctor knows nothing about MAOIs. Essentially it's very close to Phenelzine but without the effects on Gaba transaminase.

Side effects are low so far, but the flatulence is out of control and I can't control it when it comes. I'm also taking lamictal 100-150 mgs, clonazepam .25 at night and gabapentin 150-300mgs at night and trazodone 50 mgs at night. The combo seems to get me to sleep and help with obsessive anxiety the next day. The flatulence started when I switched from tranylcypromine to Marplan and these other drugs were already in the mix.

Is there anything that can help control this when it is clearly not related to food intake? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes there is solution

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

First of all I like to congratulate you for achieving success in combating depression and anxiety with consistent effort. It is true that Marplan is one of the best MAOI when it comes to side effect profile as well as efficacy.

Regarding flatulence it is not common side effect of Marplan but noticed in around 2% of individuals with Marplan prescription.

I will advice following things to control the flatulence
1. Excessive intake of water - At least 3 to four liters per day
2. Regular physical exercise- at least 30-45 minutes for five days of week
3. Use of Beano tablets (contains alpha galactosidase)- Three tablets with first bite of food.
4. Avoidance of flatulence producing food items such as legumes, antichokes, brussells sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, corn, cucumber, eggplant, onion, peas, tomatoes, squash and chili among others.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks again.