question-icon

What causes severe abdominal distension?

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018
Question: Having severe stomach distinction for the last 4 days, thought it was a type of stomach flu, stayed in bed for 2 days, tummy so hard it hurt. Have had no appetite and when I do it’s a very small amount and it seems to sit very high in the stomach distention.
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
May need Motility agents and Xray erect abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, It can be simple case of dyspepsia but causes like gastritis or pepetic ulcer disease should be ruled out. I would suggest to visit your primary physician and get detailed abdominal examination done including frequency of bowel sounds or movements. X-ray erect abdomen would be appropriate to look for any dilated gut loops or geaseous distentions. Ultrasound may reveal decreased parystalsis as that can also lead to flatulence. Continue using antacids like omperazole before meals and motility agents like domperidone. Using soft diets and avoiding heavy, spicy, junk meals or fizzy drinks is recommended.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin