What causes persistent fever and dry cough despite taking antibiotics?

Dr. Abhijit Sonawane

Posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Sir my brother had fever on 20/6/2016 ,than he was prescribed antibiotics and after that he became well.Again on 01/08/2016 he got fever.Doc gave him antibiaotics and ordered test.All test came ok except ESR was 84.Again on 16/8/16 we did test and found everything was ok except esr 110, c protien 44, little fluid in pleural space ,BLOOD ADA 20.Fever has come down,sometimes there is dry cough and no other symptom.What could be the cause?Please guide
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Looks like tuberculosis. Needs chest x ray. Kindly read ahead

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I read your query and understood your problem.
As he had fever for which no reason was found plus raised esr and now some fluid in pleural space.
It does all fit in for tuberculosis.
I would recommend you to get a chest x ray, pleural fluid study with ADA. If possible then directly genexpert study or gold quantiferon gold TB test which will definitely confirm the diagnosis.
I feel strongly in favour of tuberculosis and as early you arrive to diagnosis the sooner you can start anti tuberculosis treatment.
I hope I have answered your question well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 1 hour later
Fever has almost gone.When we went fluid test doctors very little hard to take out.With passage of time fluid is reducing it seems.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly read ahead

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for following up with me.
If fluid is resolving then its a good sign and it could or could not be tuberculosis but some lower respiratory tract infection which has led to this effusion.
But as you also mentioned that it has been recurring since almost XXXXXXX I would better rule out tuberculosis still. As doctors have already removed some fluid they must have tested it and it will helpful if you could share the same with me.
It could be pneumonia which is settled with the antibiotic course. But just to be on safer side, I am suggesting to rule out tuberculosis.
I will be glad if could share the fluid results with me and if you have a chest x ray, I would like to have a look at it.
Awaiting your reply.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 2 days later
Fluid ADA 58...
doc has told tb?

he is on medicine

but is coughing a lot
what are the foods good for him? we are totally vegetarian

can he take threptin biscuit ...weight 95 kg
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Sonawane 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Any food items are ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
So yes with ada as 58, it is pulmonary tuberculosis and treatment will be necessary.
The cough will reduce down as the treatment progresses in a week time.
Meanwhile if its bothersome cough then he can take steam inhalation and losenges.
Regarding diet he can take whatever he wishes unless it may aggravate the cough like cold items and oily foodstuffs.
Other than above said things he can have anything else.
The treatment will take 6 months so immense patience and regularity is must for completion of this treatment and support of the family members is very very important as the treatment is itself a big thing.
So be supportive and do not fall out on treatment because he started feeling better which he will be within 2 weeks only. So do not consider tuberculosis as treated and discontinue the treatment on your own.
Hope this advice helps you.
If you have any other question kindly ask me back.
Thank you