• question-icon

What causes pale stools after gallbladder removal?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago - generally feel okay but have pale stools in the last two days - had liver function blood test last week and came back okay - is this indicative of serious condition and when would you recommend a visit to the doctor...
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to loss of bile pale stool is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
I've gone through all your details and appreciate your concern.
Bile is a fluid that is made and released by the liver and stored in the gallbladder. Bile helps with digestion. It breaks down fats into fatty acids, which can be taken into the body by the digestive tract.Bile is composed of bile acids and salts, phospholipids, cholesterol, pigments, water.Bile pigments are green in color and while passing through digestive tract they are broken down into stercobilinogen which imparts yellow brown color to stool(stercobilinogen).Pale or clay-colored stools are not normal. If your stools are pale or clay-colored, you may have a problem with the drainage of your biliary system, which is comprised of your gallbladder, liver, and pancreas. Bile salts are released into your stools by your liver, giving the stools a brown color.As your gallbladder is removed your hepatobiliary system is disturbed, disturbing pigment breakdown and causing pale stools.

Its absolutely normal.
I would recommend you to visit your gastroenterologist after 2 weeks if there is no pain at site of operation.

Hope i answered your query well and fast.
Feel free to follow up.

Kumar!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for your very prompt rely - so if I understand you correctly you are saying that pale stools are a consequence of my gallbladder removal and not a cause of concern - is this correct?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, that's definitely dear.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist