What causes pale coloured stool?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: For the past 3 days I have been having pale colored stools. I know it is not normal.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Abdominal ultrasound to be done to rule out hepatobiliary pathology

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query dear patient.
Pale color stools are never normal and are suggestive of some problem in hepatobilliary tract.
Bile is formed in liver and pigments in bile are responsible for giving color to the stools.Bile pigment stercobilinogen gives brown color to stool.
Pale color of stools are often suggestive of fact that there is a problem either in production or breakdown of bile.
I would suggest you to go for a test called ultrasound of abdomen initially to rule out any problem with hepatobiliary system.
A stool test should also be done.

Follow up with reports dear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 21 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.
Do I start by visiting my family physician first?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear patient,
Yes initially a visit to your family physician would be a good idea.
All you need is a prescription for ultra sound.

Thanks!
Wish you a good luck.