• question-icon

What causes pain and tightness in the right side of the spine?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a painful tight muscle feeling on the right side of my spine.... it catches at times to the point it makes my knees buckle
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible spinal nerve compression

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HCM

The symptoms you are experiencing is suggestive of spinal nerve compression.
Nerve compression can occur due to various reasons like intervertebral disc prolapse, osteoarthritis, osteophytes of vertebrae etc.
The compression of the nerve can cause pain and muscle spasms.
Diagnosis requires physical examination, Xray spine and MRI spine.

Please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider for further evaluation and management

Meanwhile, continue using Heating pad, Aleve and take rest. Always make sure to sit in a comfortable chair and maintain good posture.Avoid lifting heavy weight or strenuous exertion.

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
I was watering flowers with the water hose bending to turn it on. All pain is in the back . When laying down pain is a 1 and standing , walking , bending pain is 8-10. Pain is left of spine and feels like muscles are contracting , spasming or extreme tight
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Since you can recall a specific triggering factor for your back pain, muscle strain or nerve compression due to disc prolapse is more likely.
You can try applying ice, taking rest and taking advil 400 mg up to 4 times daily . You can also apply topical Bengay for pain relief.
If the pain persist after 3-4 days, please be advised to follow up with your primary care provider to get Xray/MRI scanning of spine done .

Hope this answers your question
Please address further questions here
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal