What causes pain and tightness along the spine?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello hope perhaps you can shead some light I am 45 and I seem to have pain and tightness along the spine and upper and mid back I have had this before but nothing was done about it I do suffer from c4 c5 issues in my neck as well as lower back issues from wear and tear I do low impact walking as I also suffer from costochondritis and fybromyalgia is there any thing urgent I should ask my dr to check for
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI needed

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question on this platform.
I have gone through your medical history and the symptoms.

From the symptoms,it seems that you have a nerve compression in the cervical spine leading to pain and tightness in the upper and middle back.

Muscular pain also can mimick these symptoms sometimes,but nerve compression secondary to disc prolapse is more likely.

An MRI of the cervical spine and upper back can help you reach a diagnosis.
You should consult your doctor and ask for an MRI .

Costochondritis and fibromyalgia seem to be unrelated.

If a cervical disc prolapse / nerve compression is confirmed on an MRI,then physiotherapy,exercises,cervical traction,short wave diathermy are the options for effective pain relief.

I hope the answer was useful to you.

Do let me know the MRI report once it is done.

Thank you.

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 3 hours later
Hello I did have a ct scan done of the lower back recently with indicated lumbar issues can this be the problem
Also do u think it is possible it can be related to cardiac or lungs although I did have all tests done at end of July beginning of August and they were normal
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not related to heart / lungs

Detailed Answer:

CT scan is a different investigation which predominently focuses on bones and joints.

For the symptoms that you are experiencing,MRI is the best modality of investigation.

The symptoms surely are not related to heart and lungs.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 25 hours later
Hello thank you it seems that heat helps a bit I have been scheduled for a message will this help also I informed my gp she said she thinks it is muscle related and said to wait it out if it doesn’t get better by tomorrow then come back so will muscle message help
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes ,massage will be helpful

Detailed Answer:

Massage of the muscles will be helpful if done by an expert by proper methods.

But if a nerve is compressed in the spine,then massage won't help much.

MRI will give you an exact clue to the diagnosis.

Still,you can give massage a try,

Thanks