• question-icon

What causes nausea, vomiting, headache, blurry vision and loss of appetite?

Posted on Wed, 4 Feb 2015 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Question: Symptoms started quickly yesterday. Top five are:
-Nausea and vomiting acidic fluid
-Headache across the entire skull
-Visual effects (light tracing/blurring with motion. No aura or halo.)
-Loss of apetite.
-Very warm skin on torso and extremities, but no fever.
I travel for work and was in an industrial chemical facility, but I have no clue if it's related.
I just completed a physical Thursday with "perfect" results, per the doctor.
Antacids and aspirin are having no effect.
Any suggestions for treatment? (Or maybe even cause)
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You might be developing dehydration.Please take ORS and visit ER

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details provided by you. It seems to me that you are suffering from acute gastroenteritis which could be due to a gastrointestinal infection. The vomiting could have landed you in a dehydrated condition wherein inadequate amount of blood is reaching your brain causing you to have partial blackouts as well as the headaches.

Antacids are not likely to correct dehydration and hence are not giving you relief. Please do not take aspirin, it may worsen the situation. The treatment in such a situation is adequate hydration. You need to replenish the salts and water lost in the process. This can be done primarily by taking ORS or oral rehydration solution. Dissolve a full packet of ORS in a litre of plain water and keep taking it sip by sip.

Apart from this, I would strongly recommend that you urgently visit the Emergency Room of a hospital and get yourself evaluated for dehydration since it could be serious.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha