Suggest medication for high fever and diarrhea in a child

Pediatrician
Question
Hi doctor my son is teeting had a high fever 39 degrees and diharrea. I thought it may be infection too he got hes two teeth at the bottom. I did a stool test at the lab it says there is bacteria. He seems to have a sore tummy too whenever i touch his stomach hes crying. What medication does he need? Would he need antibiotic to treat the bacteria?
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A gastrointestinal infection is possibly present but antibiotics not needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me first tell you that stool of each and every human contains bacteria. That does not mean that each of us need to be treated with antibiotics. The presence of stool infection is concluded based on pus cell count. If pus cell count is raised, it indicates an infection. Unfortunately I do not see the mention of pus cells in the report.

Unless associated with bloody stool (dysentery), gastrointestinal infections are self-limiting and do not need to be treated with antibiotics. Irrespective of treatment it usually takes 5-7 days for recovery to occur. You would therefore need to be patient. Management is supportive. You may give Decolic syrup for the abdominal pain. Give ORS (oral rehydration solution) to replenish the lost water and salts.

Let me know if I could help further.