What does this CBC report indicate?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hello Doc

Can you help me understanding the cbc report.
My mother is suffering from diareah and actue weekness from past 2 days we got the cbc test done today . Please if u could advice if there is any possibilty of XXXXXXX kind of virus and if XXXXXXX other dengue or other tests needa to be performed.

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CBC report shows mild anemia only.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
The CBC report shows presence of anemia or low hemoglobin and low red blood cell indices.
Low hemoglobin and low red blood cell indices are expected with history of thallassemia minor.
A normal total blood count and normal differential count reduces the possibility of any viral or bacterial infection.
A normal platelet count also reduces possibility of dengue fever.
Diarrhea can occur due to various causes like indigestion, gastrointestinal infection etc.
A short course of antibiotics can help resolve the infection.
Weakness may be secondary to diarrhea.
You may wait for symptoms to resolve after few days.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng