What causes constant diarrhea and lower abdominal pain while having kidney disease?

Dr. Shuba Hariprasad

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Kidney Conditions
Question: I am 64 year old male with previous Kidney stone problems. About a week ago I felt like I had another kidney stone attack on my left side and vomited and after a few hours the pain went away. However I have had constant diarrhea (like going to the bathroom every couple of hours at most)ever since then and pain in my lower abdomen. My stomach sometimes makes all kinds of noises and I have been taking antacids which seem to help and have been avoiding greasy foods coffee and Cola drinks. It seemed to start to get worse after I ate bacon a week ago. What is kind of goofy is if I am up and active taking the dog for a long walk the symptoms seem to go away or are less severe.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clarifications please

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query.
I'm Dr. Shuba Hariprasad and will be answering your query today.

Would you clarify a few things for me?
*is this the first time this has happened?
*do you have any other symptoms like fever, headaches, reduced urine, blood or mucus in stools?
*does it hurt in your stomach before you have to use the bathroom?
*is the diarrhea forceful, watery, foul smelling?
*what color are the stools?
*what color is your urine?
*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
*do you have any other medical issues or take any medications?

Based on your query it sounds like you had an intestinal colic and are currently going through gastrointestinal infection probably due to food poisoning.

I recommend :
- a physician consult
-blood tests (complete blood count, kidney and liver function tests)
-stool analysis and culture
-urine analysis
-ultrasound abdomen if necessary

Based on these we can find out the cause.

I'm the meantime:
- stay well hydrated (unless medically contraindicated)
-have probiotics like yogurt to replace the good bacteria.
- have soups, tender coconut water, oral rehydration solutions (after every bout of diarrhea) to replace lost electrolyte.
-avoid caffeine and sugary beverages.

Exercise does relieve intestinal colics by improving circulation.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 7 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Here is the clarifications to the questions you asked :

Yes

No

No

Watery and foul smelling sometimes forceful.

*what color are the stools?
Normal brown

*what color is your urine?
Normal yellow

*do you smoke or consume alcohol?
I do smoke but do not consume any alcohol

I have no other medical issues or take any medications but a daily vitamin.

Overall I am in good health otherwise. I am 6'0" tall and 165 lbs. I walk and lift weights 3 times a week.
Answered by Dr. Shuba Hariprasad 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
To check for parasites and bacteria in stool

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the clarifications and follow up.

Yes, you do have an infection. Have to check for parasites and bacteria.
Please considery earlier recommendations, especially the stool analysis and culture so that you can be treat appropriately.
Stay well hydrated with oral rehydration solution as well.
Avoid eating already cut fruits and store bought sprouts.

Hope you feel better soon. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Wish you good health.
Warm regards,
Dr. Shuba Hariprasad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj