What causes nausea, abdominal cramps and diarrhea?
Side effect of 14 days of antibiotic therapy.
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
As per your query answers are-
The mucosal surface of the human gastrointestinal (GI) tract is colonized by 1013-14 bacteria of 400 different species and subspecies. Gastrointestinal microflora is catagorized into two types, autochthonous flora (indigenous flora) and allochthonous flora (transient flora). Autochthonous microorganisms colonize particular habitats, i.e., physical spaces in the GI tract, whereas allochthonous microorganisms cannot colonize particular habitats except under abnormal conditions.Most pathogens are allochthonous microorganisms; nevertheless, some pathogens can be autochthonous to the ecosystem and normally live in harmony with the host, except when the system is disturbed. This enviroment is called gut flora.So in easy language gut flora are good microbes that live in the digestive tracts of humans.Long term use of the antibiotics like Vancomycin destroys this flora and can lead to various problems with digestive system like indigestion,abdominal pain,belching, bloating and increased gas formation loose motion or constipation.These symptoms may vary from person to person.
I would suggest her to keep taking probiotics(Stop flora stor and switch over to VSL # 3) for few weeks.Probiotic mechanisms of action include enhancement of the epithelial barrier, increased adhesion to intestinal mucosa, and concomitant inhibition of pathogen adhesion production of anti-microorganism substances and modulation of the immune system.In LAY MANS language it contain a lot of bacteria's which forms a part of normal gut flora.A antispasmodic like dicyclomine can be taken for 5 days for relief in cramps.
Some general instructions apart from medicines to help her in fast recovery are -
- Increase XXXXXXX warm water intake
- Try to eat lot of vegetables, take a lot of Yogurt along with food.
- Eat plentiful "fresh oranges" and "pear ".
- Take a diet which is very low in Fat.
- Add lot of vegetables and fruits to your diet.
- Packaged fruit juices should not be taken.
- Frequent and small meals should be taken.
- Take small amount of food every 2 hours,Don't take large meals at one time.
- Ispaghula husk should be taken 2 tsf in a glass of water while going to bed daily.
Most likely all these problems are due to two weeks of vancomycin therapy.Most likely its not due to resin.
Don't panic just follow whatever i adviced she would feel much better.
Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Lower abdominal cramps diarrhea dizzy
- What is the cause of faint abdominal cramping
- Abdominal cramping yellow orange diarrhea
- What causes mild abdominal cramps with brown discharge
- What causes abdominal cramping diarrhea and severe headache
- What could cause severe lower abdominal cramping followed by diarrhea
- Are abdominal cramps symptoms of diarrhea?
- Does ibs cause nausea abdominal cramping and vomiting
- Diarrhea abdominal cramps
- Severe abdominal cramps and diarrhea
- Suggest dosage for Morphine while suffering from liver cirrhosis
- Suggest treatment for vomiting and diarrhea
- What causes fluttering sensation in the abdomen?
- How can severe constipation with nausea, bloating and gas be treated?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal bloating and weight gain
- What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for hemorrhoids
- Suggest treatment for an anal fistula
- What causes abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea?
- Suggest treatment for constipation and pain in the anal area