What do fever, nausea and sore joints and head indicate?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Have soreness/tenderness on both sides of head, fever between 99.9 and 102.5. Nauseous! sore joints.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
paracetamol, ibuprofen if needed, dramamine/peptobismol, fluids, rest

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Fever, nausea, joint pain and soreness, most commonly occur with viral infections. They are non specific symptoms that can occur with different viral infections

At this point there is no indication of the particular organ system affected eg cough or cold symptoms point to the respiratory tract
Vomiting and/or diarrhea point to the GI tract etc

At this point, the tylenol extra strength is fine. Ibuprofen can be added for extra relief once you are not in an area associated with mosquito illnesses like dengue. Ibuprofen or the other NSAIDs cannot be used in those conditions.

Fluids and rest would also be important.
Dramamine or peptobismol can be added to help with the nausea

When/if additional symptoms occur then meds can be used directly to treat those symptoms but at the moment the tylenol or ibuprofen can help with pain and fever

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions