What causes muscle weakness in the left side of the body?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am falling down, have weakness on my left side, and muscle weakness in my neck, and now total body is involved. I am a diabetic, with fibromyalgia, I am getting tired of falling down, and eating the floor so much. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

There can be several causes to your symptoms. First you mention weakness of the left side. If you mean a weakness of your left limbs which was installed on an abrupt manner then a diagnosis of stroke should be considered. Stroke is a medical emergency so if this abrupt deficit is of recent onset of less than a week you should actually not wait for the appointment but head to the emergency room.

Another possibility is damage to your peripheral nerves due to diabetes. Diabetes can lead to falls due to damage to autonomic nervous system controlling blood pressure, or peripheral nerves responsible for movement and proprioceptive sensitivity.

Uncontrolled blood glucose levels may also play a role, both by themselves as well as through the changes in water and electrolyte balance they cause.

So in that appointment you have, blood pressure measurements supine and standing and a neurological exam will be needed as well as some blood tests. If the neurological exam is suspicious tests like imaging for stroke or nerve conduction studies for peripheral neuropathy.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.