What causes low platelet count?

Rheumatologist
Question
I did a full CBC blood count done, everything came back in normal range except my platelet count which was 130. 6 months ago it was 162. I've noticed on some other test years ago it's always been a little low, like 140 150 160. But I never had symptoms like I do now. Tiny red dots on my lower legs, fatigue. I see my Dr next week but until then I need to know if this is dangerous low, or if I need to be worried about anything else. And what can I do do bring them back up? Thank u
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that you are having thrombocytopenia but its not in the dangerously low limit , below 1 lakh is something to worry about .

But since you are getting purpuric patches over legs its a reason for evaluation. First ITP needs to be ruled out thats idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura . Get an ANA level done to see for SLE as it can also present like this since you have also complains of fatigue .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes low platelet count? 1 hour later
Thank you, and can you explain what a ANA is? SLE

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thanks for reverting back.

ANA is a test for autoantibodies and SLE is an autoimmune disease in which low platelets are found, its called systemic lupus erythematosus . ANA testing is done for making a diagnosis of Lupus .

Dr. Shruti

Follow-up: What causes low platelet count? 8 hours later
Ok thank u

Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

It is my pleasure if I was able to help you out . Please let me know of any queries .

Dr. Shruti