What causes low lymphocyte count?

Dr. Jyothi B L

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Blood Disorders
Question: Dear Sir/Madam,

Could you please take a look at my blood test report. My lymphocyte percentage
is very low and monocyte percentage is very high. Is this indicative of serious
medical condition. I was having a common cold when I had this test, can this
lead to elevated levels.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jyothi B L 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No serious condition.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Jyothi BL and I will be answering your query.

After going through your report, my opinion is as follows:

1. Monocytes are only midly raised and as the total leukocyte count is within normal limits, nothing to worry.

2. Lymphocytes is appearing low. In the instruments, large lymphocytes are often mis-interpreted as monocytes, so it might be appearing low.

3. Also neutrophils are a bit increased compared to its lower levels, the lymphocytes are appearing low. It is normal and nothing to worry. Due to common cold, it might be raising.

If the leukocyte count was more than 12000 with increased monocytes, I would be worried.
Now, there is nothing significant in the report.
This report is normal and all the other values are also normal.

Any further queries, happy to help.
Dr. Jyothi BL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj