What causes light period while breastfeeding?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I'm 6 months postpartum and starting almost 3 months I got my period back I'm currently breastfeeding but my periods where regular for the past 3 months with regular period flow that is 6-7 days. However this month for the first time my period was very lite in flow like it almost stopped after 3 days but it was red and I have done a blood pregnancy test which came back negative so I was wondering is that's normal since it's my first time to experience this ?

Note: from almost a week I finished an 5days antibiotic course which I took for UTI
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are not pregnant. Use suitable contraceptive method.

Detailed Answer:
Dr Purushottam Neurgaonkar here. I welcome you to HCM VIRTUAL CLINIC. I have gone through your question, and I think I have understood your concern. I will suggest you the best possible treatment options .

1 ) First of all do not panic.

2 ) Since you have your blood beta HCG test negative and you also have started your periods, you need not worry about the pregnancy.

3 ) When you are breastfeeding the baby, hormone for milk formation.- prolactin, has impact on the hormones that regulate the cycle and egg formation.

Change in your bleeding pattern can be due to same reason.

4 ) I will suggest you to use suitable contraceptive method to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Use of barrier method like Condom, or oral contraceptive pills like routine estrogen and progesterone combination or progesterone only pills will be helpful.

5 ) Your course of antibiotics shouldn't be a cause of your problem.
Please opt for a healthy diet and regular exercise regimen. Drink plenty of water in the day.

I hope this answer helps you.
Please go through the answer and your feedback and reviews and rating will be valuable for me.

Thanks.
Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D